Wednesday, March 19, 2003

Sunrise


First, for any of you who are wondering why I'm writing at sunrise, don't worry. I'm not. I have gotten myself away from the TV though, and watching the pictures of dawn over Baghdad. Bombing has begun in parts of Iraq, and I am at a loss for words. Frank has posted some good lyrics, Jeff has posted some good prayers, and Jane has posted a good diversion, when needed. It has been an odd evening. Luke & I made dinner and sat down for my secret guilty indulgence - watching Dawson's Creek. Then we chatted with Jeff for a bit, and turned on the TV, and there were the photos. I have always loved the optimistic symbolism of sunrise, even if I haven't gotten up to watch one in years. New life, Easter & Resurrection, a chance to start over with a new day. All I can pray for tonight is that soon, the sunrise will mean the same thing to the people of Iraq, and the young people we send to fight our wars for us.

O day of peace that dimly shines
through all our hopes and prayers and dreams,
guide us to justice, truth, and love,
delivered from our selfish schemes.
May the swords of hate fall from our hands,
our hearts from envy find release,
till by God's grace our warring world
shall see Christ's promised reign of peace.

Then shall the wolf dwell with the lamb,
nor shall the fierce devour the small;
as beasts and cattle calmly graze,
a little child shall lead them all.
Then enemies shall learn to love,
all creatures find their true accord;
the hope of peace shall be fulfilled,
for all the earth shall know the Lord.

-Carl P. Daw, Jr. (Hymn 597, Hymnal 1982)

No comments: