Sunday, March 23, 2003

Sunny Days


I love spring weather. I'm not a big fan of all four seasons... I would be happy with just spring, summer and maybe fall. But I think I could live without fall too. I'm just a happier person when the sun is out, and its warm enough to go outside. So, today is a very good day.
The Seabury spring quarter starts tomorrow. I think we call this one the "Easter quarter", but since we're hardly into Lent so far it seems a bit of a stretch this year. Anyway, my fellow juniors & I will be taking our classes from a whole new set of profs, and I have a feeling that this blog will soon include Ethics postings. Stay tuned.
I haven't been thinking about much lately, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. I'm trying to get my mind back into gear after a week off though. So while I was doing laundry the other day (yup, really enjoying that good spring weather.) I was listening to my new Great Big Sea cd. They're an awesome band from Newfoundland - they do sort of a celtic/sea chanty/pop-ish mix of stuff. Check out their website for some soundclips. The reason I bought this particular album was for a song called "How Did We Get from Saying 'I Love You' to 'I'll See You 'Round Someday". Its a beautiful piece, and it got me thinking about relationship maintenance and relationships in general. Why is it that friendships are formed quickly with some, and never really deepen at all with other people? How do relationships grow, and why do they die? Sometimes the answer is obvious... distance can really do some damage, as can time. Why is it that I can only talk to my best friend once every couple weeks, and we never have to start over, but if I don't see some people for a week, I feel like we've hardly met?
Argh, random babbling. Sorry, bad habit of mine. I really do think that understaning inter-personal relationships is important for what we're doing here at Seabury, and for this whole idea of community. I suppose that is going on the premise that communities are structures of relationships - but that is a premise I think I support.

No comments: