Saturday, November 27, 2004

My Holiday Litany


For safe travel for our family, even with snowy roads and rainy skies... and that the windshield wiper that flew off the car on the turnpike was on the passenger side
Thanks be to God

For Grandma Shaefer's health... that even at 94, she can make the trip home for our family gathering
Thanks be to God

For the Genesis Erev Thanksgiving service, my home parish's joint service with the Reform Jewish synagogue we co-own our building with, and for our nearly-30 years of friendship
Thanks be to God

For a feast that included old friends, nearly all the siblings from both of our families, four generations, three kinds of cranberry stuff, four desserts, and the biggest group of people I've ever shared a holiday dinner with
Thanks be to God

For baby kitties, and the great excuse they are to make time for visiting friends on family day
Thanks be to God

For car cd players, NPR, and all those other things that keep the driver up so the spouse can sleep in the car
Thanks be to God

For marrying into a family where my small family can fit right in, a family that laughs a lot, eats a lot and can have fun sorting 200 t-shirts
Thanks be to God

For finally being back home, and being glad to see the Chicago skyline
Thanks be to God


My life flows on in endless song
Above earth's lamentations
I hear the real though far-off hymn
That hails a new creation
O'er all the tumult and the stife
I hear its music ringing
It sounds an echo in my soul
How can I keep from singing?

What though the tempest round me roars
I hear the truth, it liveth
What though the darkness round me close
Songs in the night it giveth
No storm can shake my inmost calm
While to that rock I'm clinging
Since Love is Lord of heaven and earth
How can I keep from singing?




No comments: