Friday, December 12, 2003

Waiting & Expectation


I realize that the season of Advent is maybe not the best time to be impatient, but does that apply to secular life? Luke & I tried to tape West Wing this week, and were really looking forward to sitting down and watching it, but it wasn't West Wing, it was Law & Order! I'm not sure what is going on over at NBC, but I don't like waiting for new episodes to come out. I like indulging my fantasy political world for 53 minutes each week! It gives me hope.
Speaking of waiting and hope, I have some more (somewhat incoherent) thoughts on the sermon. My home parish makes a big deal out of Advent - lots of programs, we put out a meditation book with an Advent Wreath lighting service for families, some Advent hymns, etc. We put a lot of effort into the "getting ready" for Christmas- creating opportunities for reflection, spaces for mediation and silence. So what are we waiting for? We wait for the Light - as in, "The people walking in darkness have seen a great light" and we wait for Comfort, as in "Comfort, Comfort ye my people". In the Christmas season we are celebrating that the Light of the World has already come to us. Yes, we are also waiting for the fulfilment of the Kingdom, the Second Coming, the end times... but in Christmas season, we also get to celebrate the already part of the Kingdom being 'already, not yet". God is present now, Light is shining in the Darkness now, and we get to recognize, celebrate, and reflect that now. Thoughts from the peanut gallery?

No comments: