Thursday, December 18, 2003

Six Degrees of Ordination


Luke & I are about to take our leave of Chicago for the break. Tonight is Heather's ordination to the diaconate in Kalamazoo. Then on Saturday I will be chanting the litany at the diconal ordinations in my diocese, where two Seaburians (plus two other folk I am not accquainted with) will join the clerical ranks. Also on Saturday is Mark's priestly ordination, which I will be missing since I will be in Michigan. I have been to several ordianations in the Episcopal Church, and I have heard many sermons about how "This day is not just about new ClergyPerson X, but about the whole Church". As someone in the ordination process, I have always found that to be true for me. Ordinations refuel me and my sense of call. I wonder about those people who are not going through such a process. Do they feel the same? I wonder about those people who are there because its a big day for Aunt Jane or Cousin Joe? My experience at most ordinations is that the Spirit has been so present it is tangible. Even those who don't care can tell that there is something special occuring in that place. If that is not sacramental, then I don't know what is. Anyway, I think the next few days will be good ones for the Church. Please do keep all the ordinands in your prayers.

Almighty and everlasting God, from whom cometh every
good and perfect gift: Send down upon our bishops, and
other clergy, and upon the congregations committed to their
charge, the healthful Spirit of thy grace: and, that they may
truly please thee, pour upon them the continual dew of thy
blessing. Grant this, O Lord, for the honor of our Advocate
and Mediator, Jesus Christ. Amen.
- Book of Common Prayer, p. 817

No comments: