Thursday, January 24, 2008

Expectations

In my work with youth and young adults (and children, and adults) I find that having clear expectations is a plus. People are, on the whole, happier and more productive when they know exactly what it is they're supposed to be going. Also, its much easier to fix problems when everyone agrees to the expectations up front.

Some folks like to complain that we have no expectations of people anymore. Generally, I think they're being cranky and just don't like the way these times, they are a-changin.

But on my way to work in Detroit, I pass one of those light-up highway signs that warn you about accidents and things up ahead. There wasn't a traffic jam to report, so instead, it had the following message:

"Aim to drive safe and sober."

Just call me crankypants who doesn't like the way these times are a changin.

No comments: