Wednesday, August 04, 2004

Embroiderers, Good Weather and Television


... to name just a few of the patronages of Saint Clare. Saint Clare is also the patron of my home church, back in Ann Arbor, where I will be preaching this coming Sunday. We will be celebrating the Feast of St. Clare, transferred from August 11. Coincidentally, the Gospel reading for St. Clare is also the lectionary reading for this Sunday: Luke 12:32-37: "Do not be afraid, little flock, for it is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the kingdom..."

I don't have my sermon nailed down yet, but I am convinced that this reading relates to the blessing from Enriching Our Worship attributed to St. Clare - "Live without fear: your Creator has made you holy, has always protected you, and loves yo as a mother, Go in peace to follow the good road and may God's blessing be with you always."

I think its also related to this comment from The West Wing. The staff are talking about repealing the estate tax, and how it would only affect 4500 families. President Bartlett comments, "It doesn't matter that it only affects 4500 families. Thats the problem with the American Dream. Its makes everyone concerned for the day they're going to be rich."

This is my favorite part of writing sermons, playing connect the dots with bits and pieces of inspiration. Now I just pray that it moves along more quickly!

No comments: