Monday, January 26, 2004

Handwriting


Today is the feast of the Conversion of St. Paul, which has more meaning when I am taking my New Testament course on Pauline literature here at Seabury. Trevor blessed up with a great sermon about the virtues of obediance and submission among other things. Part of his illustration involved the fact that he carried a yellow notepad to the pulpit, rather than a typed and printed manuscript. It seems that poor Trevor had some computer problems, and had to write his sermon by hand. The technical difficulty didn't seem to affect his preaching- it was a gift.
In the mail today, Luke & I received a different, rare gift: a real, handwritten letter from a friend who lives far away. Actually, she doesn't even live that far away- although Ohio can seem like it, I suppose. Anyway, it was pretty simple: what they did for Christmas, how their jobs are in their new place, what they've been up to... but I can't think of the last time I wrote a letter like that without involving my email program, let alone without a computer!
So after all that- Why am I having so much trouble composing a sermon for class tomorrow without sitting at the computer and typing up a manuscript?! I'm trying to "preach without notes", which requires a different sort of preparation. Really, there is virtue in not being computer-dependent. Really. I'm sure I'll be able to think of what that is sometime tomorrow.

No comments: