Sunday, April 10, 2005

Seeing Red


I'm working on a paper for that Biblical Theology class on conflict and anger, and I ran across this quote:
"Anger denied subverts community. Anger expressed directly is a mode of taking the other seriously, of caring. The important point is that where feeling is evaded, where anger is hidden or goes unattended, masking itself, there the power of love, the power to act, to deepen relation, atrophies and dies" - Beverly W. Harrison


This is a crazy notion to me, at least at first glance. I think that anger tends to get in the way of the commandment to "love thy neighbor as thyself", to turn the other cheek, and to forgive as many as seventy times seven. I know anger can be harnassed and focused into productive emotions - but is it really still anger at that point? I am not sure. It is probably too late to be thinking about this, but I thought I'd share the quote. More thoughts to come soon, although they may be over the Biblical Theology blog instead of here.

No comments: