Sunday, May 23, 2004

Thou My True Word


Jane and Tripp have already told you that the Festival of Homiletics was amazing, and was it ever! We enjoyed a week of preaching (the long kind, not the five-minute Seabury kind!), music, worship, fun. I absolutley understand all those folks who attended week long revivals- it was exhausting and exhilarating, inspired and inspiring in all senses of the word. For fun, I decided to collect some quotes from the week to share with you all, so you can get just a glimpse of the week we shared together:
"You know, if I wasn't driving 75 in a 45 mile an hour zone, it might be less frightening" - Micah, on driving through PA mountains, construction, and mysterious fog at 1 am

"Be nice to the complainers- they're only praising you in a different way." Rev. Hartness, chaplain at the National Cathedral, giving advice to the five eager seminarians

"I hate squirrels. They're all reincarnated sex offenders." Judy. Need more be said?

"Religion is a defense against repentence" - Thomas Long, on why preaching repentence in Advent

"You know who Tripp reminds me of? That guy in high school. You know the one... your dad told you to be home at 1, but he's sitting in the car saying, "Why do you wanna listen to your dad? You don't really have to go home..." Lemwood, having known Tripp for a total of 30 minutes

"Theres a Hershey Kiss in every silence" Judy. Still, nothing more to say!

"We have gotten into preaching hoop-skirt sermons. You know, the kind that cover everything and touch nothing." - Dr. James Forbes

"Be thou my wisdom and thou my true word
I ever with thee and thou with me Lord
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall
Still be my vision, O Ruler of All" - Be Thou My Vision, my favorite hymn, sung or played five times at our conference

I have been asked by my Rector back home to talk about encountering the Holy Spirit, for Pentecost next week. After this week of hearing God speak through preachers, singers, and good friends, I will have no trouble. Alleluia, Christ is risen!

No comments: