Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Marriage of True Minds


My husband knows me so well. When I got home from Chapel this morning, he told me he had exciting news that would make me happy. After a bit of keeping me in suspsense, he told me that he called the cable company to cancel our service. (We had gotten it over the summer at a promotional rate, but planned to get rid of it once the price went up.) When he called though, they offered to keep us at the promotional rate to keep our business! Woo hoo! So, I get to keep my cable, and watch all the football, West Wing and Dawsons Creek reruns, and Food TV that I want. And I am so lucky to have a husband who understands my habit!

So, in honor of that, here is a quote from a show that has been on my mind as I reach the end of my seminary career. You can all guess what show its from.

Joey: Oh, so, in nonacademic terms, I'm just too stupid to know any better?

Wilder: Would you settle for having an open mind? For most people in college, that's the first thing to go. Wow. I hadn't pegged you for such a hardcore cynic.

Joey: I'm not.

Wilder: Look. It's like this. Most people, when they get to college, feel really insecure. It seems like everybody around them knows so much more. So they race to try to catch up, pretend to know things, instead of slowing down to actually learn them. Because they don't realize that the discomfort of uncertainty is the most precious part of the experience. See, if you can feel comfortable... not knowing, you can learn anything, anything. And if not, well, then you've stopped before you've begun.

Joey: Can I ask you one more stupid question?

Wilder: Shoot.

Joey: Who the hell is Derrida anyway?

Wilder: Ha ha! Well, uh, let's just say if literature were the star wars universe, he would be like the Darth Maul.

No comments: