Monday, April 26, 2004

Hindsight is 20/20??


I have been thinking about adoption lately. Not as in “Gee, let’s adopt a baby right now” but as a potential option, down the road. I do not know much about the subject, and I am glad when I can learn more about how it all works. With that said…. This 20/20 story is ridiculous! Adoption is NOT a competition, with a baby as a prize. Adoption is hard on the biological mother. It is (from what I’ve heard) a long and difficult process for those wishing to bring a child into their families. I appreciate the effort to illuminate the adoption process… but I just can’t believe that this is the way to do it. Children are people who need love and care and support. Children are not something we compete over, or a prize to win with the best marketing strategy. I am glad that there is a family who really wants this child. Really, I am. And I hope that the other families who want so much to have a child are able to find a child in need of a loving home. Adoption is a wonderful thing. A child being raised by parents who will love and care for him is a beautiful thing. It does not need a “competition” to make it any more exciting.

If you also think this is a bad idea, here is a link to email the 20/20 people.

No comments: