Wednesday, November 19, 2003

standing still


We're doing exercises in preaching class right now that involve very short (5 sentence) sermons. These really serve two purposes: to get us used to the habit of relating Scripture to the contemporary world,and to learn about our physical stuff in preaching. It has come to my attention that I never stand still. Okay, so this may not be a revelation to some of you, but seriously - I never stand still. I sway. Or bounce. Or shift. Basically, I fidget and its really hard not to. So I was thinking about what in my formation has produced that habit. I'm used to standing in front of groups with a guitar in my hands. I was taught to keep time in high school choir by stepping the beat. I'm used to spending my time with kids: they don't stand still, why should I? Anyway, then I officiated Evensong last night. I had no problem standing still to chant the collects or read the Prayer of St. Chrysostom, and a friend and I were joking that I should just sing all my sermons - my nerves would be gone, my voice would be steady, I'd know how to stand still. It made me wonder though about everyone else's favorite ways to serve the church before arriving here at seminary. Did AKMA always like to read with that booming voice of his? Do people with backgrounds in lay pastoral care tend to preach more pastoral sermons? Do other people who spend a lot of time with kids fidget as much as I do? Gee, I hope so, cuz fidgeting is fun!

No comments: