Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Invitation

Dear People of God: The first Christians observed with great
devotion the days of our Lord's passion and resurrection, and
it became the custom of the Church to prepare for them
by a
season of penitence and fasting.
This is season of Lent provided
a time in which converts to the faith were prepared for Holy
Baptism. It was also a time when those who, because of
notorious sins, had been separated from the body of the faithful
were reconciled by penitence and forgiveness, and restored to
the fellowship of the Church. Thereby, the whole congregation
was put in mind of the message of pardon and absolution set
forth in the Gospel of our Savior, and of the need which all
Christians continually have to renew their repentance and faith.

I invite you, therefore, in the name of the Church, to the
observance of a holy Lent, by self-examination and repentance;
by prayer, fasting, and self-denial; and by reading and
meditating on God's holy Word.

I read these words twice today, once at noon and again at 7 pm. And this is part of my response. I plan to use this space to support my meditating on readings, on ministry, on life in general. The extrovert in me needs the space - outside of my head - to think. I've spiffed it up (or toned it down?) to match the liturgical season, as a reminder to myself that using this tool is part of Lenten discipline this year. So, I don't want to get your hopes up by promise daily postings. However, I will be here with great frequency during Lent, and perhaps even daily. I'll look forward to seeing you, and getting to know you again. Unless, of course, your Lenten disciplines include fasting from the blogiverse, in which case, may you be blessed til Easter.

No comments: